TISBUS business plan
TISBURY & DISTRICT COMMUNITY MINIBUS LTD
A SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY
EDITION 9: 31 JULY 2017
TISBUS MISSION STATEMENT
By using volunteers, provide community led, affordable, door-to-door, wheel chair accessible transport for everyone in Tisbury and the surrounding area, on specific designated services, special outings and on private journeys.
TISBUS was founded in 2000 to create a community service for the people of Tisbury and the surrounding villages. This is a concerted effort to provide community transport in the interests of social welfare and to the benefit of all the inhabitants.
One of the key aims is to provide wheelchair accessible vehicles to help the isolated and less mobile who are unable to use public transport even when it is available.
We continue to try and improve our services by listening to our users, both current and potential, and to understand their needs so we can provide a responsive and flexible range of services in our region.
To Succeed TISBUS needs:
- Committed, effective volunteer trustees and also volunteer and paid drivers
- A range of reliable, safe and economical vehicles
- Adequate revenue and funding to enable TISBUS to operate as a commercially viable enterprise
- To effectively promote our services to both current and potential users and keep the services under constant review.
- Good communications with our members and the public at large.
- Our area is lightly populated and widely spread (around 8000 people in an area of 400 square miles) and comprises of a population with many elderly people with associated mobility issues in which only limited PSV services operate.
- Local PSV fares are expensive and therefore there are difficulties for the less well off user.
- Our fleet now compares well with similar organisations in the rest of Wiltshire and in neighbouring counties. Successful fund raising over the last 10 years which has enabled us to provide us with a fleet of 4 vehicles, 3 of which are wheelchair accessible. The size of the fleet will be under constant review. We have received our new bus from the Department of Transport and there is now an option to have a fleet of 3 or 4 vehicles.
- Given that buses age, we have to be aware of the need to replace each of our four minibuses at the end of their useful life cycle. This means a replacement of one bus about every 3 years.
- We must constantly seek to ensure our vehicles are used as efficiently as possible to provide the best and most effective service possible.
- Working closely with adjacent operators allows us all to maximise services to isolated populations and meets our charitable remit.
OUR MAIN OBJECTIVES
Short Term: 1 Year (2017/2018)
- Manage existing money for the replacement 16-seat bus to be achieved by early 2018.
- Continue to maximise the utilisation of the existing fleet by keeping existing commitments under review and seeking new work.
- Maintain the availability of committed and trained staff; ideally volunteers.
- Maintain user satisfaction and safety.
- Improve the awareness of TISBUS in the area with renewed publicity.
- Continue to work with LINK and other surrounding operators where possible.
- Maintain our communications with our members
- Expand our public image with work by our Publicity Manager.
- Improve the number of volunteer and paid drivers available to us.
Medium Term: 2-4 Years (2019-2021)
- Continue to update and improve our service by listening to feedback for our customers.
- Fundraise for the 2019/20 replacement vehicle.
- Continue to seek and encourage volunteers to come forward as drivers and trustees.
- Maximise group talents.
- Initiate fund raising for a replacement vehicle in 2021/22.
Short Term (By end 2018)
New 16 seat Vehicle for early 2018
- Confirm complete funding
- Discussion and decision on type and usage of new vehicle among trustees.
- Buy bus
- Continue to ensure that we balance our books and use our money effectively.
- Effective use the Transport Sub Committee to monitor transport costs.
- Seek to make more use of volunteer drivers and so minimise paid driver hours.
Markets and Users
- Publicity Plan
- 3 buses or 4 fro the future.
- Continued Volunteer recruitment drive
- Always be receptive to possible expansion or variation of services
- Continue to monitor user feedback to enhance and improve our appeal to the community.
- Co-operate and maintain the establishment of transport links with the Tisbury Campus.
- Improve the website and electronic communications wherever possible
- Keep members informed.
Medium Term: ( 2019-2021)
New 16 seat Vehicle
Start fundraising for 2019/20 bus.
Continue to ensure efficiency in the use of the TISBUS funds.
Market and Users
- Review Trustees’ responsibilities.
- Continue cooperation with adjacent operators
- Monitor progress of Tisbury Campus.
- Continued publicity campaign.
- Keep members involved.