TISBUS business plan
TISBURY & DISTRICT COMMUNITY MINIBUS LTD
A SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY
EDITION 10: 10 JANUARY 2018
TISBUS MISSION STATEMENT
To provide a community led, affordable, door-to-door, wheel chair accessible community transport service for everyone in Tisbury and the surrounding area, on specific designated services, special outings and on private journeys.
TISBUS was founded in 2000 to create a community transport service for the people of Tisbury and the surrounding villages through a concerted effort that benefits social welfare and the community at large.
One of the key aims is to provide help with wheelchair accessible vehicles to the isolated and less mobile who may be unable to access public transport.
We continue to try and improve our services by listening to the needs of our users, both current and potential, and thereby to provide a responsive and flexible range of services in our region.
To Succeed TISBUS needs:
- Committed, effective volunteer trustees and sufficient volunteer and paid drivers
- A range of reliable, safe and appropriate vehicles
- Adequate revenue and funding to enable TISBUS to operate as a commercially viable enterprise
- To effectively promote our services to both current and potential users and to keep the services under constant review.
- Good communications with our members and the public at large.
- Our area is lightly populated and widely spread (around 8000 people in an area of 400 square miles) and comprises of a predominately elderly population with associated mobility issues in which only limited PSV services operate.
- Local PSV fares are expensive and therefore there are difficulties for the less well off user.
- Our fleet now compares well with similar organisations in the rest of Wiltshire and in neighbouring counties. Successful fund raising over the last 10 years which has enabled us to provide us with a fleet of 4 vehicles, 3 of which are wheelchair accessible. The size of the fleet will be under constant review. When we buy our new bus in March 2018, there will be an option to have a fleet of 3 or 4 vehicles.
- Given that buses age, we have to be aware of the need to replace minibuses at the end of their useful life cycle. This means a replacement about every 3 years.
- We must ensure our vehicles are used efficiently to provide the most effective service possible.
- Working closely with adjacent transport operators allows us all to maximise services efficiently for our isolated populations and to meet our charitable remit.
OUR MAIN OBJECTIVES
Short Term: 1 Year (2018/2019)
- Manage existing money for the replacement 16-seat bus to be achieved by early 2018.
- Continue to maximise the utilisation of the existing fleet by keeping existing commitments under review and seeking new work.
- Maintain the availability of committed and trained staff; ideally volunteers.
- Maintain user satisfaction and safety.
- Improve the awareness of TISBUS in the area with renewed publicity.
- Continue to work with LINK and other surrounding operators where possible.
- Maintain our communications with our members
- Expand our public image with work by our Publicity Manager.
- Improve the number of drivers available to us.
Medium Term: 2-4 Years (2019-20212)
- Continue to update and improve our service by listening to feedback for our customers.
- Fundraise for the 2019/20 replacement vehicle.
- Continue to seek and encourage volunteers to come forward as drivers and trustees.
- Maximise group talents.
- Initiate fund raising for a replacement vehicle in 2021/22.
Short Term (By end 2018)
New 16 seat Vehicle
Integrate the new vehicle into the fleet
New 16 seat Vehicle for late 2019
- Confirm complete funding
- Discussion and decision on type and usage of new vehicle among trustees.
- Choose bus
- Continue to ensure that we balance our books and use our money effectively.
- Effective use the Transport Sub Committee to monitor transport costs.
- Seek to make more use of volunteer drivers and so minimise paid driver hours.
Markets and Users
- Publicity Plan
- Continued Volunteer recruitment drive
- Always be receptive to possible expansion or variation of services
- Continue to monitor user feedback to enhance and improve our appeal to the community.
- Co-operate and help where possible with the establishment of transport links with the Tisbury Campus.
- Improve the website and electronic communications wherever possible
- Keep members informed.
- Investigate and support where practicable, transport initiatives that improve social welfare.
Medium Term: ( 2019-2022)
New 16 seat Vehicle
Start fundraising for 2021/22 bus.
Continue to ensure efficiency in the use of the TISBUS funds.
Market and Users
- Review Trustees’ responsibilities.
- Continue cooperation with adjacent operators
- Monitor progress of Tisbury Campus.
- Continued publicity campaign.
- Keep members involved.